Lab Radar Chronograph

So I splurged and bought a Lab Radar chronograph to track bullet velocities.  This is what it looks like:


Stock photo - Not my setup
However, this is exactly what I have.

The chrono uses radar (obviously) to track the bullet speed as it exits the barrel and then five more points down the line of fire - up to 100 yards away.  It is triggered by the sound of the rifle going off.  That is unless you are using a 6.5 Creedmoor with a suppressor.  I could not get mine to register today.  I suspect a little bit of user error and a microphone setup discrepancy. 

It did, however, work great on the .243 suppressed and the .308 unsuppressed.

The unit is intended to sit directly even with the end of the rifle barrel when shooting suppressed.  This was all but impossible using the shooting tables I designed (see earlier posts on those).  I need to either get a longer tripod so the unit can sit on the ground, or I need to build an extension onto the table.

While attempting to get the muzzle even with the unit on my suppressed 6.5CM, I was off the back of the table, with zero arm support.  The gun was just too long, or the table is just too short.

I think I may try and attach the Lab Radar to my Primos Trigger Sticks tripod.  That may work out fantastic.

On my first use today, I will register two complaints. 
First off, after spending all that cash on the equipment, it ships without an SD card to record your data.  That is not delighting this customer.  Then come to find out that it can ONLY use a 32GB card or smaller.  I found that on the last page of the manual under "constant blinking blue light."  That's Bull Shit, Longshot (the company that makes the Lab Radar).  This type of information needs to be called out better both on your website and in the instructions.  I wasted ten minutes trying to figure out why the unit continually blinked and would not turn on.  I had to read the entire manual AGAIN to finally find the solution.  Whew.  I was not happy.

Second, the iOS app for this thing is JUNK - all capital letters.  It rarely connects, and when it does, the phone does not load ALL of the data - just some highlights - and then ONLY in meters/second.  There is no feet / second option.  What?  Oh well, piss on the app.  I'll just take the SD card back to my PC and utilize Excel to review my data.  It's much more powerful anyways.

Other than that?  I am happy with the functionality of the system.  Simple to use and does what it says.  Inexpensive?  Not a chance, but the best thing going for bullet velocity measurements right now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks