Deer Day 2 - Good Day to be Out!

After getting up on the third ring of my alarm when my wife 'encouraged' me to get out of bed, I finally did.  I made it to the woods at 7:10.  Legal hunting light was 7:11.  Now don't get me wrong, I do not like walking into the woods when it's dark.  I know there are not supposed to be any other hunters on the property, but there are hunters to the S and E.  I do not want them mistaking me for a deer.  It's a really bad day when you get shot...today, though, I was pushing the limit and should have already been in the woods.

The wind was blowing steady from the W on top, but in the bottoms it was calm with swirling winds.  It was 30 degrees out and overcast.  Overall a nice morning.

As I was walking down the road to the woods, I saw a large deer cross the road in front of me.  It was too far away to call buck or doe, but it was most certainly not a monster buck nor a yearling.  Probably a 4 or 6-point buck.  It snorted when it finally saw me and ran off to the S.  I heard shots ring out before I entered the woods from the S.  Maybe it lived, maybe it did not.

I slowly walked N.  It took 2 hours to get to the point where I was going to start heading W.  I looked N and saw 4 does walking E.  I had a clear shot to the E, so I sat down and waited.  The doe did not walk E, but turned due S and came walking directly at me.

I watched through my scope at about 75 yards.  The first deer stopped and sniffed the air.  She turned to leave.  The second deer stepped forward and looked directly at me.  It was now or never as tails were starting to flip up as a warning.  I fired, hitting the second doe center chest while she was watching me.  She did not go 30 yards before piling up.  The .458 SOCOM did a job on her innards.

I texted son, son-in-law, and brother to see who was available to help me drag.  Son-in-law suggested I go get the Gator and drive it in to pick her up.  In the end, I picked up brother, who is back visiting from Oregon, and he helped me drag her out of the woods.  Thanks Bro!

I filled out my transportation tag and checked her in on-line.  She will become deer salami tomorrow.

Brother Trent took this picture for me prior to helping me drag

She's in the back of the truck, tagged, and trying to get our beer.
This post brought to you by Sun King WeeMac.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks