Hassenpfeffer for Doves - Booyah!

So dove season is just around the corner.  We will be hunting at the Seager Ranch.  It will sound like the Civil War around the W side of Mulberry.  Any you know, if you don't eat, then you die.

So for eats on that day, I am going to make a huge pot of venison gravy.  Sorry, I cannot quote the recipe - because I just make it up as I go.  I put in onions and oil.  When the onions are clear, I add the ground venison.  When it is cooked, I add more oil and remove from heat (the additional oil is required as the venison is too lean to create any oil on its own).  Oh yes, the oil I use is virgin olive that I have steeped garlic gloves in the bottle.

I then add enough flour to soak up all the oil.  Then I put in equal parts of milk and water until I get the consistency that I desire.  I personally like my gravy on the thicker side.  **The Secret Ingredient is one packet of dry taco seasoning!  I learned that trick from Acapulco Joe's in Indy.  Makes a spicier gravy that is just killer.

So that covers breakfast.  Following that, we hunt.  For lunch then, I have just prepared a huge vat of rabbit stew.  Of course I threw in the garden.  No tomatoes, but V8 juice instead.  I pressure cooked the rabbits in a mixture of half beer and half water.  No seasoning on the meat.  I cooked it at 15 psi for one hour and the meat is falling off the bone.  After it cools, I will de-bone the meat and then I drop it in the vat of vegetables already on the stove.  I just might have to sample some before I freeze it.  It's smelling wonderful right about now.


3 Rabbits just came off of pressure and are still boiling hot.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks