Drive belt on Ferris ZTR

So I was mowing Saturday, I threw a drive belt on my Ferris IS2000Z 61" zero turn mower.  The shop had one in stock, but I could not get it until Monday.  And now, $84 later, it was time to put it on.



I grabbed the manual.  It said take off the mower drive belt.  Check.  Then it said, and I quote, "Remove the hardware that secures the clutch anchor pad to the PTO clutch."  No pictures.

All jokes aside, I have a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering from Purdue University.  I could have written a better description in my sleep.  At least put a picture in there.  Oh well, hard won knowledge is not soon forgotten.  Wanna make a joke about my schooling?  Great, put your arse under the mower, figure it out quicker, and THEN I might listen.

I jacked up the rear end, put some jack stands underneath, and then crawled under to investigate.  I found there a piece had to be removed for the belt to go around - and there were three options for removing it.  I tested all three and then picked the one I could actually reach, but just barely.

Of course, all of this sucks because I am laying on my back, looking up under the mower, and everything I touch drops dirt into my face.

It also took about 500ft-lb of force to break those nuts free.  Rust is some sticky stuff.

I get the part off, and install the new belt.  Had to adjust the tension - yet another fun task.

Then, I get to put it all back together - the drive belt, parts, and mower belt.  Bam.  2 hours later I am finished.  Next time, knowing what I know now, 1 hour tops.

She drives like a champ now though.  Belt musta been going out for quite some time.
And yes, I am very happy with the Ferris product.  Four-wheel independent suspension.  You will not find a nicer ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks