New Composite Deck

Mama decided that we needed a new deck.  She was right.  We could not walk to the hot tub without catching a splinter.  So, we ordered a new hot tub.  That makes sense, right?

Old hot tub has to be removed.  New hot tub installed.  Now, we can build the new deck around the new hot tub.

Ripped off all the old deck.  See pictures below.  It was 20 years old.  Had been stained multiple times and been sanded prior to Nick's high school graduation.  I cut the planks and Sandy pulled the boards.  Alex and Sandy also helped pulling the screws.  

For the most part, it was in decent shape.  I ended up replacing 2 boards and adding only a few more to help support around the hot tub.

Old deck plank removed.  Facing NW.

Sub deck / support structure in pretty good shape.  Facing N.
New hot tub installed.
Truck parked to right of picture to capture old deck boards.

Another shot of the old deck with tailgate of truck visible.
Facing mostly W.

We decided we were going to get a quote to install the new composite material.  Minimum was $10k with not-to-exceed pricing of $12k.  No thank you.  We bought all of the material for just over $4k.  So in effect, I paid myself $6k in labor.  Not seen a penny yet!

My timeline was to have it completed by our family reunion, to be held here, this coming Saturday.  I used every bit of the time allotted.  The only remaining task is to paint the benches white.  I did not paint them yet because they are treated lumber and are too wet.  I shall wait for them to age and then paint them.

New deck and new railing.  Solar lights on top of posts.  Facing N.
Quite the difference, eh?

Sandy & Kathy landscaped.  It looks good too.

Top of deck looking E with bench and rail.
You can see Old Brown (Nick's Shit truck) & the "Gator" in the background.
Look how nicely the deck is built around the new hot tub.

I have to give Sandy kudos.  She picked the entire color scheme.  She did not want brown for fear of not being able to match the hot tub color, so she went with grey and white.  I think it looks awesome.  And, that's the last time I'll ever have to work on that deck.  I'll be planted before it rots away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks