Found Deer Bones - Age?

While Davey and I were squirrel hunting on Marshall's, I came across some deer bones in the North-end of the bottoms.  All that remained were the lower jaw bones and several vertebrae.  I could not deduce any cause of death from those scant remains.  I did however spend some time trying to figure out how old the deer was.

From the size, I estimated that it was not a yearling (fawn) - which can also be proven by the fact that there were 6 teeth in the lower jaws - deer are born with 5 and grow their "wisdom" teeth (the sixth set) after the first year.  Please note, deer teeth come in sets of 2 and 3, but are still considered one tooth.  Here's a screen shot to help you picture what I'm talking about:

Photo of a fawn lower jaw with teeth outlined.


The third tooth on my found jaw was still a set of three, not two - which means that the one I found was less than 2.5 years old.  Because, at 2.5 years old, that 3rd "baby" tooth is replaced by a permanent 2 set tooth.

So my best educated guess at the age of this deer is 1.5 years - depending upon it's time of death.

Take a look for yourself.  How close am I?

Lower jaw bones found while squirrel hunting 17 AUG 2014.  Age estimated at 1.5 years.

By now, you have to be asking yourself, why are deer ages in 1/2 year increments.  At least you should be asking that question.

Deer are aged by their teeth.  How many deer do you think you can walk up to, open their mouths, and look at their teeth?  Right, not many.  Since they are born in the Spring, but not harvested until the Fall, we add six months when checking out the jaw bones of those killed during hunting season.  Thus, the 1/2 year increment.

So how can you find the information to test how accurate I am?  Go here if you want more data on aging white-tailed deer:  http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0755.pdf



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks