US Night Vision Rapid Wraps for AR Mags

The Sportsmans Guide had USNV Corp's Rapid Wraps (TM) on sale for $17 each in three different camo patterns for AR-15 30-round magazines.  I went ahead and ordered some in Kryptek Highlander and US Stealth Flag patterns to try.

They come printed on 3M's Controltac (TM) vinyl and are pretty easy to install.  I put the flag on a 30-round mag after watching the instructional video here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr3qS4IohyI

Pretty simple to do, and I must say, the hair dryer trick works great.  I did not do the pencil thing to put them into each groove, but I suspect I would have gotten better results if I had.

Since I rarely use my 30-round mags, I decided to cut them down and put them on my 20-round mags.  I traced around a mag once it was in the gun and noted a 1 7/8" distance from mag to mag well.  I marked the stencil and cut them almost in half - BONUS: you can get TWO wraps for a 20-round mag out of a 30-round mag stencil.  I did cut the lines on the proud side, just to be sure they went all the way to the bottom of the mag well.  What's nice about these wraps is that NOTHING goes into the mag well - you won't get mag jams from this product.

Of course, you could always just go to the USNV website and order 20-round mag wraps, but I noticed that their prices were higher than Sportsmans.  This little bit of extra work on my part seemed fine by me for the price difference.

Now why do this?  Is it necessary?  Is it necessary that I drink my own urine?  Of course not, but it's sterile and I like the taste (callback - Dodgeball).  Not necessary at all, but go ahead and try to tell YOUR magazine from your buddy's at the range or in the field.  I used to write my initials on them in permanent marker.  No need to do that now - although this does cost more, it looks a whole lot better.

Pictures follow.  One note - the flag pattern will not work to be cut in two because all you get are the stripes on the bottom half.  Order the camo patterns to cut in half.  

The alignment on the bottom of the magazine (exact center) is not critical since the two sides are going to overlap one another.  However, they are VERY SPECIFIC about which side to use and you must ensure you are on the proper side.

If you are considering getting this product, take 5 minutes and watch the installation video linked above.  Use a hair dryer for best results.  I also took an Exacto knife (TM) and trimmed the edges to get a more aesthetically pleasing seam.

Quick and easy.  Exactly as purported.  Check out USNV Corps' website here for other products:
http://www.usnightvision.com/

P.S.  I am NOT a paid (or non-paid) spokesman for USNV and their products.  I am however a user and believe they have created a fine product.  All information is my opinion and provided free of charge.  Remember, you get what you pay for....


Kryptek Highlander pattern.  30-round AR mag Rapid Wrap cut in two and
applied to TWO 20-round AR Magpul (TM) magazines

Rapid Wraps Stealth Flag camo pattern on both a 30-round AR Magpul mag (top)
and a 20-round AR Magpul mag (bottom).
Note on the 30-rounder that the wrap did not go fully into the creases of the magazine.  
Hair dryer and pencil will quickly fix that - see video.

20-round mag installed in AR.  Kryptek Highlander camo pattern.

20-round mag installed in AR.  Stealth Flag camo pattern.

30-round mag installed in AR.  Stealth Flag camo pattern.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks