Deer Day 25 - Sun DEC 01 - Shotgun Ends

Technically, the firearms season has just ended in Indiana; but since we all use shotguns, we consider it Shotgun Season - and it's over.  It did not end like it started - although we tried.

Davey and I hit Marshall's S farm in the morning.  It was 28F and ZERO wind - you could hear for miles. I saw three doe run across the S woods heading W but too far for either me or Dave to shoot.

That afternoon, it warmed up to somewhere between 46 & 50 degrees depending upon which phone, vehicle, or thermometer you looked at.  Hey - that's warm enough for Fair Weather Kathy to go out and hunt too!  Our original plan was to hunt the golf course because we had not had an afternoon hunt there all year.  With the warm weather, the wood cutters were out cleaning up the giant mess from the storms.  No need to hunt there.  Instead, Nick, Kathy, Alex and I hit Marshall, Neal, Vice for the final evening hunt.

Nick sat on Vice across the creek.  I sat on the S side of Marshall.  Kathy and Alex took the stands on Neal. We sat for 90 minutes and then I started walking.  This occurred at the same time that Harold Vice came out to chop wood.  Thus, the deer I pushed out of the bottoms met up with the deer Harold pushed off Boyd's and they all headed to Kathy.

At this point, Nick and I are sure NOT to see any deer, but we waited for Kathy and/or Alex to shoot. Three deer ran directly to Alex's stand, but stopped 120 yards S - Kathy was watching the whole thing. For some reason, they bolted W and Alex never even saw them.  Nick and I were called "Bad Dogs" for not pushing the deer directly under their stands.

We all have to take a week off before Muzzle Loading Season opens up on the 7th.  The Bride and I will be in Cancun.  Nick and Alex have already called 'dibs' on the muzzle loaders.  Nick will be holding the fort down while we're out.  Hopefully they can both bag another one before I return.

Speaking of which, while I'm OUS, I will be updating my other blog - Vacation Time!  You can find it here if you're so inclined to check out our happenings in the 85F weather:
http://www.rcseager.blogspot.com


Sights while hunting on this, the last day for firearms...

The remains of Peter Rabbit.  I saw the coyote prints and tufts of fur on the trail first.  
Then, I ran into this pile of fur.  Everything else was gone - bones and all.


A nice fresh rub on the tree - so even though we didn't see a buck during the season
at least we know they are out here somewhere!


The Three Amigos - Kathy, Nick and Alex.
Check out how Kathy positioned her gun so it looks like she's shooting her brother's head off.
Family - can't pick 'em - just gotta live with 'em.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks